Friday, January 27, 2012

Tacos Mexico (San Jose, CA): Nachos with Chicken


Is there anything good about the startling number of hideous strip malls in the greater Campbell/South San Jose area?  Yes - the endless supply of taquerias.  Tacos Mexico, on what I'd call the "wrong side of the tracks" (read: the same side as The Pink Poodle) on Bascom Avenue is a funky little cash-only taqueria that has a surprisingly large crowd at lunch time.  If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time I've actually been worried about finding a table at a taqueria (we sat outside and the wind wasn't exactly balmy).
They have one kind of nachos: Super Nachos.  Are they super?  Only if your idea of super includes "plastic" cheese.  However, the shredded chicken was definitely on par with most places I've been that use real cheese on their nachos.  Also, just look at the picture:  all ingredients are present and accounted for, including the sometimes elusive pico de gallo and jalapeños.  Instead of "super" let's call these "muy bien".

Rating: 3 out of 5
Rating Notes: For just over $6, these were fairly priced and I have to admit I cleared my "plate".  Had there been real melted cheese, at least one more point would have been added to the score.
Bonus:  I'm a total gearhead, so I dug their tables, almost all of which had pictures of nice old cars on them.
Factoid: Tacos Mexico is the "sister" taqueria to Ricos Tacos on Winchester in Campbell.  Here you'll find much the same menu and good, reasonably-priced food, but an even better presentation for their nachos.
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/AmvXcK

No comments:

Post a Comment