Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Super Taqueria (San Jose, CA): Chicken Nachos

Ah yes, back to my college days.  Super Taqueria is a chain, but I have a soft spot for the one on 10th street in San Jose, right next to the San Jose State campus.  I used to go here and grab a big fat Chicken Super Burrito between classes.  I was hopeful that their shredded chicken was still excellent!  Thank goodness nothing had changed.  Moist, flavorful and plentiful, just like it should be!
Now - don't get too excited yet.  First, the presentation was so sloppy and boring looking that I had to add a nice sprinkling of salsa.  Much better.
BUT
Take a closer look.  Anything missing?
NO CHEESE
What??  Yes, I went up to the counter and asked both the cooks and the cashier, just to make sure they hadn't forgotten to put cheese on their nachos.  Nope.  They don't put cheese on their nachos.  WTF?
As it turns out, a friend of mine's uncle owns the Super Taqueria chain.  He was kind enough to call his cousin, a manager of one of the restaurants what the deal was.  His cousin said "Nachos with cheese is the American way of doing it.  We do it the traditional way."
Bullshit!
Remember my post on the origin of nachos?  My friend did and he called his cousin on it.  His cousin simply replied with a chuckle.  Lame.

Rating: 3½ out of 5
Rating Notes: Really good chicken and the nostalgia factor helped a lot here.  Price is very reasonable as well.  Would have been a 4 or maybe even a 4½, but no cheese?  Come on!  Bush league.  The last time I encountered this was at Fiesta Taqueria in Campbell, but that's one of the worst taquerias I've ever been to so it didn't surprise me at all.
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/T9O47I

No comments:

Post a Comment