Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Adelita's Taqueria (San Jose, CA): Super Nachos with Chicken

Oh, Adelita's, why do you toy with my emotions?  I walk into your clean, modern dining room with it's sparkly black marble tables and light wood counters and chairs and across the way, I see a hip, open kitchen with cooks hustling here and there.  You even have a well-produced menu board and a dish called "Sky's special burrito".  I'm getting excited now…
Your little light-up "order ready" buzzer/coasters are a first for any taqueria I've been to and remind me of hip bar & grill.  Should I be nervous that you are a hit-and-miss, overly Californified taqueria where I'll get some "creative" cook's idea of a new twist on Nachos?  Puhleez no!
I sit down and sip my Coke until the buzzer signals the end of my above average-length wait and I walk up to the counter to retrieve my highly anticipated plate of nachos…
 
Not much to look at, are they?  The emotional roller coaster goes downhill.  Check out that wormy-looking squirt of sour cream and all of those chips with nothing on them.  Are you kidding me?  Maybe they'd look better with…

 …some jalapeños, onions, and a generous helping of your yummy "orange sauce"?

That's more like it.  I’m almost happy again…

Munching my way through the plate, I'm fairly satisfied because I'm so hungry and every bite has a bunch of tangy sauce on it.  Only after about 5 bites do I discover the real strength of these nachos: the generous chunks of juicy, flaky, shredded white meat chicken hiding under the sour cream worm and bland pico de gallo.  The more I eat, the more I find.  This definitely helps, but I must tell you, Adelita's, I'm not as excited as when I first walked in with a wallet that was almost $10 heavier than it is now!  I don't know if I'll ever come back to you...

Rating: 3½ out of 5
Rating Notes: Despite the completeness of the ingredients list, one of the ugliest plates of nachos I've seen, at least before I added the orange sauce.  Lame, store-bought chips and coule you have also put a little effort into squishing the avocado and cutting up the olives or is this minimalist approach your attempt and trying to add a "California Cuisine" touch?).  Creepy looking sour cream worm.  Excellent, all white meat chicken keeps these from dropping below 3½ stars.
Map to Location: http://mapq.st/ychgOc

No comments:

Post a Comment